Reports to: Executive VP
Department: 310 – Engineering
Pay Status: Exempt, Pay Grade XIII
Responsible for the leadership of design engineering activities for the corporation; design, electrical, applications engineering and support staff.
- Perform all activities, functions, initiatives and decisions as an integrity-driven leader; maintain the high-standards of personal ethics that Braun holds as a key to effective leadership.
- Utilize a collaborative management style fostering employee empowerment and a positive work environment while maintaining company objectives, goals, and performance expectations.
- Actively participate in the long-range planning, with specific emphasis on product application and development in connection with market demand and need.
- Confer with management, production, and sales staff to determine engineering feasibility, cost effectiveness for new and existing products.
- Direct department activities, through team members, to design new products, modify existing designs in accordance with company strategic plans.
- Manage and direct the Design Engineering team, participate in recruitment, hiring, performance evaluations and salary adjustments.
- Lead team in selecting design concepts/fundamental technology for new products or improvement of existing ones.
- Approve and submit proposals to management for consideration and allocation of funds.
- Ensure efficient engineering operations, with high release quality.
- Further the goals and positive, professional image of the company
- Maintain effective department measurements and reports to document performance trends.
- Define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions for company wide continuous improvement with emphasis on engineering operations.
- Develop and maintain engineering standards documentation for efficient engineering operations; Best Practices, NFPA, KKK, DOT, FMVSS, USA.
- Successful launch of engineering designs for manufacturability.
- Open communication personally and through team members with manufacturing operators for manufacturing clarification as needed.
- Utilize corporate design software (i.e. AutoCAD, Sigma Nest and Solid Works).
- Participate in ongoing engineering design review meetings.
- Support prototyping activities of new product development.
- Keep assigned area clean and orderly.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelors Degree in a related Engineering field.
- Five years prior engineering / management experience.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret complex documents, drawings and schematics
- Knowledge of machining and assembly practices, tools and fixtures and familiar with product construction and application.
- Strong leadership skills with excellent oral and written communication skills – organized, self-motivated, manage multiple tasks and/or priorities, easily adaptable to change.
- Successfully pass a pre-employment drug test, as well as at random, reasonable suspicion and post-accident drug and alcohol tests thereafter.
- Physical requirements: regularly required to stand, crouch, and kneel; frequently required to walk, reach with hands and arms and to use hands and fingers to feel objects, tools and components; occasionally required to stoop or crawl and the ability to talk and hear.